Court orders and judgement

A Court order or Judgement compels parties involved in legal proceedings to do certain things as specfied in the Order or Judgement.

What is a Court order?

A Court order or judgement can be obtained against individuals, corporations or other legal entities through a number of avenues, such as defended legal proceedings.

During such proceedings, the court may make certain orders against you, for example:

  • ordering you to do something,
  • ordering you to cease doing something, or
  • ordering you to pay money.

Orders, usually for the payment of money, can be made 'by default', meaning that you have failed to respond to or defend Court proceedings within a specified timeframe.

Judgement for the payment of money

What happens now?

The 'judgement creditor' is entitled to enforce a judgment against you or your company, being the 'judgement debtor', to compel payment in a number of ways. They are not obliged to enforce the judgment immediately or at all. However, in most cases once a judgment for payment is made, a judgment creditor will try to enforce it promptly.

Additionally, judgements may be recorded on you or your company's credit profile, which in turn may affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.

What is enforcement?

Some of the most common enforcement options include:

  • Being summoned to Court to give evidence as to the judgement creditor's financial position,
  • Having part of your wage ‘attached’ (redirected to the judgement creditor by your employer),
  • Having monies held with a bank or owed to you by a third party 'garnished' (redirected to the judgement creditor by the bank or third party, or redirected to the judgment creditor,
  • Issue of a Bankruptcy Notice (if the judgement is against you personally) demanding payment within 21 days. If payment is not made, proceedings can be commenced to bankrupt,
  • Issue of a Creditor's Statutory Demand (for corporate judgement debtors) demanding payment within 21 days. If payment is not made, proceedings can be commenced to wind up your company, and
  • Sending the Sheriff to seize property from your home or business.

What can I do?

It is generally never too late to negotiate with the judgment creditor to try to come to a mutually satisfactory solution, which can involve the judgement being set aside. Failing which, there are limited ways in which enforcement proceedings can be opposed. For example, judgements cannot be enforced indefinitely and are subject to time limits. There may also be circumstances that warrant an application to the Court to have the underlying judgement set aside, which would halt any enforcement action currently on foot.

Another method is to apply for the judgement to be paid by instalments. Whilst the application is on foot, most enforcement actions are suspended and should the instalment order be granted, this will remain the case.

Ultimately, as long as the judgement is enforceable, the judgment debtor will be at risk of enforcement action being taken against them.

If you believe you may have a judgement against you, see here for the latest judgments issued by the Federal Court of Australia.

What now?

If you have a court order or judgement against you, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible. Our experienced Litigation Team can help you to understand the nature of any enforcement proceedings, the effect such action will have on you or your company, and advise you on your options, both legal and practical.

Feel free to contact our litigation team on 1300 205 506, by email at, or alternatively, fill in the contact form below.

The information contained in this article is intended to be of a general nature only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Any legal matters should be discussed specifically with one of our lawyers.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.

For further information contact  
Caroline Callegari

Caroline Callegari is an Associate Principal and leads our Disputes & Litigation team. She has an advisory and advocacy practice in the following areas: Commercial Litigation, corporate and personal disputes, debt recovery and, insolvency and bankruptcy matters. Caroline can be contacted on (03) 8561 3324 or by emailing


For fifty years Sharrock Pitman Legal has made a significant and long term contribution to meeting the legal needs of business owners and residents in the City of Monash and greater Melbourne area.

Get in touch

When you contact us you will soon discover that we really are caring lawyers who will always be ‘on your side®’.

Thank you, your form has been received.

We'll be in touch shortly.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.